Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Our 10 Year Wedding Anniversary: Wyanokie Circular

Friday, August 14th, was our 10 year wedding anniversary! Forgive me for being so late in blogging about it: we went away for a camping trip, just the two of us, this weekend. So here's my post about Friday's adventures... or should I say misadventures?

11 years ago, on August 14, 2004, I met Jon at Penn Station and our first date lasted 13 hours! Little did I know that one year later - to the day - we'd be getting married at a chapel on Rutgers University. That was 10 years ago as of last Friday. So of course we wanted to commemorate the day with something special. We had already set up a camping trip (our first time overnight away from Liam since he was born!) for the weekend, but we wanted to go for a nice hike with Liam on the actual day. What is more special than spending a big day like that as a family? Not much as far as I can tell.




On Friday, we had a lot of errands to run in the morning. But as soon as we could, we drove over to Norvin Green State Park to do the Wyanokie Circular trail. It's a 3 mile trail that takes approximately 2 hours to complete. It has a few nice views that overlook Buck Mountain (which is a lovely but grueling hike!). In the heat, the Wyanokie Circular isn't too strenuous, though there are rock fields and river crossings as well as loose gravel in parts. Lots of ups and downs, but a very enjoyable hike. So off we went!

First we started at Otter Hole, which is a river crossing across Posts Brook. You leap from big rock to big rock, but with the low water, we've found an easier way across. It still requires leaping in parts, but a much more direct way. If the water were higher, it wouldn't be possible that way!



After crossing, we started up the gravel section. I personally HATE gravel and loose rock - it makes my feet slide which makes my ankles and knees more likely to sublux (partially dislocate) due to the EDS. I prefer going UP on gravel than going DOWN - as you can imagine going down, you're more likely to slip and fall! So we started up the loose rock/gravel section. By this time we were beginning to work up quite a sweat! Once we got to the top, we stopped at an intersection and took a break and a couple photos.



Once we finished our break, we continued on the green forward. Amazingly, Liam has memorized the routes to every hike he's ever done! And we've done quite a few! He remembers which colors we hike on and in which order at each park! He's ahead of  me and light years ahead of "Wrong Way Kropa" (Jon - haha!). We started up another hill, but were soon rewarded with lovely views looking across to Buck Mountain. I absolutely love Norvin Green and its scenery. I love dense forests with rocky outcroppings. And Norvin Green is full of exactly that!




We continued on and after a while, Liam became quiet and sullen. I finally got him to open up and he said, "I have bad ataxia... I want my helmet on... but it's too tight!" I know he has trouble with the strap being too tight on his neck, but it can't be loose or it won't help in a fall! So we compromised on a tightness and he felt much better.




We stopped at an outcropping with glacial erratics (boulders left from receding glacial ice). We laid down on the bare rock and enjoyed each others' company. Liam's ataxia had gone away so he was able to take off his helmet and cool down. He climbed over the boulders, dancing at the top, and had a lot of fun. I'm glad we had those moments, but the misadventures were about to begin!





After changing blazes a couple of times, we were walking along when I stepped down from one large rock to another. I felt my foot go in one direction while my ankle went in the other! I stumbled, then I careened onto the ground, trying to stop my fall, but it was no use. When I hit the ground, I let out a scream. Jon and Liam came running. My first thoughts were: "I broke it. I'm never getting out of here. Our camping trip is cancelled!" Priorities, Mary! My ankle was in extreme pain, I was covered in dirt, and my legs were bleeding. Liam remarked on my leg bleeding, but I was only concerned about my ankle. Jon took off my shoe and sock gingerly and we saw that my ankle was swelling before our eyes and resembled a tennis ball. Luckily we keep an ankle brace and a knee brace in our packs at all times (an EDSer's savior can come in the form of a brace when things slide out on a hike!). Jon got my ankle into the brace which was no easy feat due to its increasing size, then put my shoe on. He gave me his other hiking pole so that I had two. It would be a full mile back to the car. We had come two miles the other way, so we had to continue forward. I knew that there would be a rock field, a rocky ridge, having to go downhill on gravel, and a river crossing ahead. I joked that if I made it, I should be on the show "I Shouldn't Be Alive".



The reason I didn't call 911 is this: I have seen in multiple places about people getting injured in Norvin Green. They called 911 and 911's response was, "meet us at the road." Unless it's life-threatening, they will not come in and save your behind! I had made up my mind to go to the ER once I got out, but I wanted to go to our local ER, not the one by where we were parked. So what was the point in calling 911? No, I had to make it out on my own two feet and I had to do it before sunset.

And it was not easy. In fact it was agony. Every step was torturous. And I am one tough cookie, but this was hard. I walked in silence fighting back tears. But do you know what Liam said to me the whole way out? "You're doing great, Mommy! You're going faster than me! You're doing so well!" Jon said the same thing and included "You are TOUGH, Mary! You are the strongest!" Without their encouragement, I don't know if I could have done it. Liam said all this unprompted. While he is absolutely a compassionate child, sometimes (because of the Asperger's), he's not sure of the socially appropriate things to say especially in difficult situations. But he said exactly what I needed to hear and his words propelled me forward. I made it out in ONE hour! 1 mph on a very bad ankle was not something I expected at all! I thank Liam and Jon for that.

At the ER, I cracked a lot of jokes. Humor is my saving grace at times. Within 50 minutes, I was in the door and out the door and that included an x-ray, exam, cleaning my wounds, and bandaging my ankle. Never have I gotten such speedy service at an ER! The prognosis was good: torn ligaments (most likely multiple ligaments), BUT not broken and not dislocated. That's all I cared about: no cast!



So the camping trip was still on, but NO hiking and NO rockhounding. I could live with that! So unfortunately, my friends, I won't be posting any daily hiking adventures for a little while, but I will post about past adventures. Until I set foot back on the trail - I'll be dreaming of it!

5 comments:

  1. Of course I'm very sorry about the torn ligaments, and swollen, sore ankle! But, I really enjoyed reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tough as nails with a heart of gold

    ReplyDelete