Friday, August 21, 2015

"I Will Carry You On My Shoulders"

A short post demonstrating Liam's character:



Today I made my bathwater too hot. I don't feel the hot water until it gets too hot - circulatory problems I think. I struggled to get out and sat down in the toilet seat trying to get the dizzies to go away. I put my head in my hands. Jon was downstairs in the studio running the lapidary equipment and I couldn't yell loud enough to get his attention, so I yelled for Liam.

"Mommy?" He asked, coming in. "Oh! I'll get Daddy! DADDY! DADDY!"

Luckily Jon heard him yelling from the top of the stairs. He rushed upstairs to help me out.

"Liam is my hero," I said weakly. "He always saves the day. Thank you, baby."

"I'll get you to the couch," Jon said after a little while.

"NO!" Liam declared. "I will help Mommy to the couch. You can ride on my shoulders, Mommy. I will carry you on my shoulders!" Instead, we held hands as I got to the couch.

This is not the first time Liam has shown immense compassion for me or Daddy when we're in need. And I doubt it'll be the last. And they say autistic people don't have empathy! Ha! Liam proves them wrong daily.



2 comments: