Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Planning Ahead: Winter Hikes


Last winter was terrible. My depression became all-encompassing. The snow didn't melt for months and it seemed like every few days, we'd get another fresh dumping of snow. This was before we started hiking and I wouldn't leave the house for a week except to meet the bus at the end of the driveway. The lack of exercise, the never leaving the house, and absolute boredom got to me. Liam became very hyper from the lack of stimulation and exercise. He also melted down much more frequently.

One of the few times we got out of the house last winter
The shore for the day after his birthday (December 31)


This year I vow to continue hiking in the winter! I have a friend who hikes in New Jersey (more south than I am) and she has hiked 365 miles one year and 500 another. She is my hiking inspiration and I asked how she hikes year-round - even in the winter. In fact she loves winter hiking the best! She told me that she just packs lots of gear, takes extra safety measures in the snow, and tries to find cross-country trails where the snow is packed down. Since I live closer to the mountains, it isn't as easy to find flatter trails, but here I will write up a list of trails I'd like to try this winter, even in the snow - WITH crampons on proper hiking boots to keep myself from sliding and falling! We don't want another torn ligament, do we? I think we'll stick to the less rocky trails.

Here we go!

Turkey Mountain
Cheesequake yellow trail - very easy and short
Mahlon Dickerson Reservation
Top of Mountain Way - easy side
The Tourne County Park - two locations
Wildcat Wildlife Reservation
Governor Mountain
Long Pond Ironworks ruins
Merrill Creek Reservoir
Stokes State Forest - cross-country skiing trail
Laontaka bike path through the woods
Franklin Lakes Nature Preserve
Hacklebarny State Park
Ramapo State Forest - around the lake

Windy and cold at the shore last winter
But so thankful to be out of the house!


I'll keep looking for places to visit in the winter. This winter I vow to continue with approximately 30 miles a month!

1 comment: